Interfaces are at the center of what we do – interfaces between animate and inanimate matter, internal interfaces in mixed materials and surfaces. We investigate these interfaces and develop technologies to change the functions of the materials using targeted interface engineering.
We develop surface modification and coating methods for producing biofunctional surfaces for our clients in medical engineering, the pharmaceuticals industry, biotechnology and polymer processing. We assess the mechanical, morphological and chemical properties of biological and biomedical materials and use nanotechnologies to functionalize them. Applications include, for example, implants with higher biocompatibility, improved products for cosmetics, oral and dental hygiene and materials which are protected against unwanted encrustation by organisms.
The main areas of our work:
- materials science characterization and evaluation of medical engineering materials, oral and dental care products and cosmetic care products
- Surface modification and surface evaluation, primarily of polymers
- Mechanical assessment of materials under physiological conditions
- Development of new materials with improved structure and surface compatibility and tailormade functionality
- Development of sustainable and durable semi-finished products for the building industry